Previous posts on the new Narrows Bridge:
- History of the Tacoma Narrows Bridges
- The Two Towers I: Intro
- The Two Towers II: Concrete Thinking
- The Two Towers III: Anchor Management Classes
- The Two Towers IV: Out & Down
- The Two Towers V: The Struts
- The Two Towers VI: To the Top
- The Two Towers VII: Stairway to Heaven
- The Two Towers VIII: Spinning Beginning
For those who may be new to this series, I am blogging the construction of the new Tacoma Narrows Bridge. See the above posts for more information on the Narrows Bridges, the engineering challenges, and a recent first-hand tour taken of the construction site.
In the previous post, I discussed the history of cable spinning technology, and looked at the wire spools and spool feeding mechanism on the East end of the bridge. Now we’ll examine the tram itself, and the “traveler” wheel or sheave.
Continue reading “The Two Towers IX:
Wheels Over the Water”